Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Birthday

Well since Jamiee did such a wonderful job helping me celebrate my birthday, I probably better give her some credit and blog about it to the world. I took a vacation day from work on the Friday before my birthday because Jamiee had the day planned out. We started by dropping the kids off at her parents' house (Thanks Maryann!). Just a day without the kids would have been great but she then informed me we were off to...

Andretti Karting was voted the #1 adrenaline rush in Atlanta. It was tons of fun and I had the track to myself pretty much. The karts are really fun and move almost 40 mph. I didn't set any records with my times but I wasn't the slowest one of the day either. So if anyone wants to go back with me and have a go, just gimme a call.

After racing we ate the best lunch we've had in a long time. We ate at...

Ethyl's Diner is really good food. I highly recommend it. It's inside Andretti Karting.


When we got done at Andretti's Jamiee instructed me to head downtown to the Georgia Aquarium so I can keep my date with the whale sharks. We love the aquarium. We have annual passes and I work just a few blocks from it and will sometimes spend my lunch hour there. Jamiee was thoughtful enough to provide me the opportunity to scuba dive with the whale sharks in the Ocean Voyager exhibit at the aquarium. It had been a while since I've been diving but it's like riding a bike, you don't forget how to do it. Here are a few pics that Jamiee took from the other side of the glass.

You can't really tell in the picture above but at one point, this big Humphead Wrasse was less than a foot away from me. I had to stop and wait for him to swim past me. You can't touch any of the animals while in the tank and you're supposed to stay at least 5 feet from them at all times. The animals have no such restrictions though and will get as close to you as they want.

It was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget. I can now say I dove with hammerhead sharks, blacktip sharks, sand tiger sharks, a manta ray, and whale sharks. Truely awesome! Thank you Jamiee!!

1 comment:

Just the three of us,,, said...

FINALLY!!!! New posts!! John, you should blog more often. Jamiee is a slacker. Looks like you all had fun. Happy 30th birthday John!!! You getting closer to 40. WOW! :)